Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The first step

No I am not talking about Aris here. Although I can't wait for her to take her first steps. I am almost positive she will look like a little elf running about our house. She is so small! Back in January I wrote an entry about quite a few goals that I would like to accomplish before the end of this year. I figured this would be a perfect day for me to look back, and just kind of see how I am doing with all the goals I have set. Looking back I honestly feel like I am moving forward on all but 2 of the 10 goals I have set for myself. I really need to work on reading my scriptures more and composing the body of work for an art show, well lets just say I could really be working on this one.
I have made a very big step in the past two weeks. I didn't write about it until now because I wanted to make sure I was going to stick to my new habit. I know now that I am ready to eat healthy. This was one of my goals for the year. It is a hard one for me while I am nursing. When I am nursing I feel hungry almost all the time. I started to take a look at some of the unhealthy food I have been eating and have made some changes. One of the biggest I have made is when I start to feel hungry instead of reaching for food I drink some water or another low calorie beverage. I have found that most of the time I am just thirsty. These drinks don't replace meals this is what I do between meals. I am also following the three meals a day three snacks a day routine. For meals I am eating correctly portioned foods. I have a bad habit of just serving up whatever. As far as snacks go I purchased some rice cakes (I happen to like the flavored ones) and some spicy V8 juice and carrots. I usually have 8oz of V8 before I head off to work in the afternoon. Then on the way home I have a rice cake. This little rice cake keeps me from snacking as I make the meal and also I feel less starving when the meal starts. I am less likely to eat more than I really need. I am eating all the food groups that I need and drinking more water and I am feeling like my goal of living a healthy lifestyle is coming to fruition. I can't wait to get the double jogger so that I can start exercising. Than I can start training now for a race in the fall. I found a couple of really great sites online to guide me in what is needed when it comes to training for all different kinds of races. Like I said in the title, this is the first step of many. I am ready. If you have any words of advice, please feel free to share.

No comments: