Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CPSIA, A BIG FAT NO FROM ME!!!!


A lovely illustration by Sarah Jane

Another of Sarah Jane's lovely illustrations

I have been following the story of the new guidelines set up to police products made for children 12 an younger, CPSIA, for quite a while now. I have read as other bloggers and Etsy have posted about concerns. I feel that the lovely artist and fellow blogger Sarah, from Sarah Jane Studio's says it best in her very well written and informative post today. Please see post here. Sarah's Etsy shop is here. My favorite is the new Etsy pricing guide. I definitely won't be able to afford hand made for my children now.

There are so many wonderfully talented artisans that produce lovely one of a kind and unique products for children who will be affected by this new law. I was also horrified to read the other day that this law will encompass used items for children as well. How will this effect those who count on secondhand stores to clothe their children, not to mention toys and used books. I love buying used books for my girls. We wouldn't have all the lovely books that we do if it weren't for used like new children's books from local thrift stores. This law will not only affect small handmade businesses, but local thrift and consignment stores, those who home school , schools, and local library's. 

I am all for making products safer for our children, but I think the law has been taken to an unhealthy extreme. A few weeks ago I signed an online government petition to amend this bogus new law. Please go visit Sarah's blog, then go and do what you can to make a difference.

*ALL IMAGES OF SARAH JANES ILLUSTRATIONS ARE FROM HER BLOG.

4 comments:

FamiLee said...

I didn't read everything, but does this include every state in the USA?

Maybe we will see more used clothing giveaways?

Artfulife said...

I'm pretty sure. It will affect all of the US. I still don't quite know how they will enforce it all.

Elissa said...

sooo over the top! can you say big brother? UG. i really hope they get this mess straightened out. how could half the country afford things for their little ones? not to mention the waste....

mysteryhistorymom said...

Summer-Yippee! I am SO glad you are joining "Pay It Forward"! I was secretly hoping you would.:) Please e-mail me with your favorite color(s) and things that you love and I will get creative! Oh, and your address, too. I know I have it somewhere, but where??... Lori