Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On My Work Table

I've been working on this little illustration for the last two nights. It's almost finished & I hope to share it with you tomorrow. It's the last card for Simply Sweet Marriage. I really wanted this card to look like something you would find in your grandmothers trunk amongst old papers and photos. It will say "Happy Anniversary" when finished. I like how it's turning out.

A month or two ago I found this vintage Star Wars sheet. I almost passed it up but knew if I did I'd kick myself for not buying it. So I forked out the $1.75, steep, I know ;) & brought it home. I figured I'd find something to do with it eventually.

Boy did I ever! I can't even tell you how excited I am to finally have an excuse to buy Star Wars things now that I have a little boy. I decided to make him his very own Star Wars quilt. Shouldn't every little boy have one? I purchased the gold fabric at Joanns, the funky retro pattern from an online store that was going out of business, & the very last print from an amazing local quilting store. I also purchased a grey solid fabric that I will be using also but it's not pictured. The fabric will be used on the front of the quilt & the sheet will become the backing for the quilt. 

This is what I have in mind for the front. I've never tried a quilt like this before. I want it to have that chevron pattern look. I think it will fit very well with the vintage look of the sheet. I am pretty much learning to quilt as I go. I kinda guess at how things work when it comes to quilting. I look at the pattern of a quilt as I do art. Then I dissect what I see & try to figure out how it works. What I have guessed is that I should probably sew the strips in a row & then cut them at the angle I need. I could be wrong but I really am hoping that this is actually how it's all done. It could prove to be a very disastrous quilting mess. We shall see.

Speaking of disastrous messes........Someone needs to clean their art area. In my defense, once that pile of fabric finds a home it won't look quite so horrible, right? Right? (insert nervous giggle here)

8 comments:

Elissa said...

who cares about the messy pile!! i am so jealous of your productivity (and that awesome sheet... i, too, am a bit of a star wars nerd) will you head out here and light a fire under my butt?? ;-)

christilee said...

mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/Vintage_View_-_Forties_Chevron.pdf

www.quilterscache.com/C/ChevronBlock.html

Hey Summer I cut and pasted the site addresses for two sets of instructions on a chevron pattern. Hope they are helpful. Love the idea.
Christi

jbr said...

Here is a really easy zig-zag pattern that would work great too.

http://beesquarefabrics.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-zig-zag-quilt-without.html

Artfulife said...

Thanks guys! The links are perfect. I would have not figured out how to do this properly without the hints. Ya'll are the best!

jend said...

You are amazing Summer!!!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Star Wars quilt... that will be awesome!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the star wars quilt fabrics and the sketch...
You are amazing and as long as you don't lose a child in that pile (wink!) I know you will get through it!

Susannah said...

that 'anonymous' comment was from me~