Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hand Quilting & Vintage Finds

Little Oblio playing with our "new" Fisher Price toys


I thought I'd share my AWESOME vintage find that I scored at a yard sale last week. I saw it in a yard sale ad on Craigslist on Thursday night & about had a heart attack. I honestly had a hard time sleeping that night (I'm a total dork) I was worried I wouldn't get there in time to get it! I've been looking for one for YEARS! YEARS!!!! Friday morning I set my alarm early & arrived just a few minutes after the yard sale started. I tried to act like I was looking around but really couldn't help myself. I headed right for the school house. I was so happy that I got it! The lady was kind of laughing at me because I told her how happy I was & reminded her of the lunchbox I had bought from her last year. Yes I love vintage toys & lunchboxes. I told you I was a dork! I've been watching this school house on EBay for a couple years now & the bids always go too high. Finding vintage Fisher Price toys is hard & to find them in good condition is even harder. This one was in really great condition. All of it was pretty dirty but wiped up well & it now sits on top of our piano until the bookshelves are built. The girls can play with it anytime they want. Omri really loves the mini bus. I got everything pictured above for $22! A steal!

I finished basting Omri's quilt & started hand quilting it. My sweet friend Christi let me borrow one of her quilting hoops when my tiny one just wasn't cutting it. I'm on the lookout for a big one (like in the picture above) but haven't found just what I need yet. I'm heading to Carson City next week & hope I can find one while I'm there. If not I'll be buying one online. Hand quilting is such a slow process but I'm really enjoying it.

There is something so calming about the whole process. I'm working on this every night when Dean & I watch TV or a movie. I also take it with me wherever I go. That way I can work on it in any quiet moments that come along during my day. Those quiet moments are rare but do happen & even if I only get a row of stitches in, I'm that much closer to being done :)

I'm linking up to Amy's Sew & Tell Friday. Hop on over & take a look at all the awesome projects people have posted & if you are stopping by for the first time please leave a comment so I can come & say hello :)

4 comments:

Elissa said...

FP SCORE!!!!! i was always sort of mad at my mom for how much of that stuff of ours she got rid of... but how could she know that all the new stuff wouldn't be as good ;-)

Artfulife said...

Same here. If only I could go back in time......lol!

Michelle said...

Have fun with your schoolhouse! I think my kids broke mine. (And apparently, I lost the merry-go-round -- I'd forgotten that it had one of those)

What I really wish hadn't vanished over the years is the plane.

Karena said...

Wow your quilting is beautifully done!

What a find, those vintage Fisher Price toys are so great; love the little people!

Please come and join my new Fashion Giveaway from Fresh Produce!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena