Friday, December 21, 2012

Art As Quilts







Above artwork chosen as inspiration

I remember back to when I worked for an interior designer up at Lake Tahoe. We'd have fabric reps from all the beautiful design houses come into our office & show us the latest releases. We'd get books & boxes full of swatches from the reps, in the hopes that we would use them on our custom projects. I loved looking at them & thinking how each could look beautiful when used in the proper space. My boss always laughed at me because I was constantly commenting on how I thought such & such a fabric would look beautiful as a dress, coat, shirt or blanket. Even though I no longer work in the design world I still feel that same way. I look at peeling paint on an old wall when I'm downtown & think....Wow! Wouldn't that make a beautiful painting? Since I started quilting last year I've often looked at art work & thought.....Wouldn't that make the most amazing quilt? This is the heart behind my latest art show Art As Quilts. I've started pinning all my favorite art onto my Art & Illustrations board on Pinterest. I went through my board & chose my 5 favorite works of art & went to town. It took me a little over a month to finish all 5 of them from start to finish. The funnest part was choosing all the fabric combinations. I wanted the fabrics to compliment each & every work of art without matching completely. Since I didn't work from patterns the piecing part was challenging but a lot of fun. I didn't measure anything & just went with the flow. None of them are perfect but did I mention I had soooo much fun making them? I was going to do a separate post on all five quilts but had a change of heart. It just made sense to put them all together.

Robert Ryman Quilt





Fox Quilt inspired by the art of Inalux





Joseph Albers Quilt





Trapeze Quilt inspired by the art of  Laverne Originals





Cecil Touchon Quilt




All fabrics used in the above quilts were purchased at Joanns Fabric, Hancock Fabric & Ben Franklin Craft.

This is the first set of quilts I plan on making that are inspired by art that I love. Look for more art inspired quilts in the upcoming year!

4 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I love this post. I am so impressed, Summer. I love the idea of turning art into a quilt (or dress etc... like you mentioned.) But seriously, I am so so so so impressed.

Artfulife said...

Thanks Jamie :)

Unknown said...

Super great job, Summer! I'm seriously impressed you did ALL of that within a month's time....WOW!
}}Hugs{{
Vicky

MissH said...

Oh my goodness, I love the fox quilt. These are all amazing Summer :)