Monday, March 5, 2012

My First 2 Quilts! (Scottie Dog Quilts)

Here are the fronts & they are both the same size but the wind was blowing like crazy so the right one looks a little smaller.

When I took a picture of the backs this nice young man came by & held it down. You can't see it but my sister & two other girls that were walking by are holding up the quilts up top. I'm glad I got pics of them down town because they are HUGE! It was way too bright for photos but it give you a chance to see just how large they are. 

 Quilting these tops took me FOREVER (to be said in the voice of that kid from the Sand Lot movie) & I'd be lying if halfway through the whole process I wasn't quite sure I'd made the right decision about how I chose to quilt them. 

Once I washed them they came out of the dryer with so much crinkly goodness. I knew I'd made the right choice. I was a little nervous putting them in the wash. I'd put so much sweat & tears into them. What if they fell apart!?!? 

Thankfully they didn't, lol & I am so very happy with how they turned out. I'm hoping that my sweet friend is just as happy.

Even if it did take almost a year to finish them ;) 

14 comments:

An Art Nest said...

yip, yip!! love these so much! you ROCKED IT!

amylouwhosews said...

Summer! These really are amazing! I can't believe you've never quilted before!

Rachel said...

They look fantastic! I have a few quilts under my belt and a little part of me still crosses my finger that "they don't fall apart" LOL!

Lesly said...

Congratulations on your first quilts! They are lovely - I just adore the little whiskers on those dogs!

Kat said...

Wow, are these really your first quilts? You did an *amazing* job! Those little dogs are so adorable and I think you made a great choice with the quilting. You're definitely right about the "crinkly goodness" --- that's usually my favorite part!

Elizabeth said...

So, so cute! Love those little Scottie Dogs. And cross-hatch quilting is one of my favorite designs. It just looks so nice. Beautifully done.

xo -E

Artfulife said...

Thanks guys!

bethanndodd said...

So lovely...you did a fabulous job! And how nice of that young man to help...I just love nice people! Smiles~Beth

Heather said...

So adorable! You did a fantastic job on your first quilts. Thanks for sharing them! :o)

Rebecca Grace said...

Congratulations and much quilty love!! These are ADORABLE! I can't believe this is your first attempt at quilting. Your art background shows -- I especially love how you did that trellis effect with the red polka dot grid -- wish I could tell from the photos how you accomplished that. It reminds me of one of those fabric covered bulletin boards with criss-crossed ribbons, and photos tucked in place. Love it!

Ruth said...

Your quilts are amazing. I have always been to scared to try to quilt. You did an amazing job.
Ruth

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

They are so beautiful and I just LOVE the cross-hatch quilting on it! You're pretty brave to make these two HUGE size quilts for Your first quilts, but they came out pretty awesome! Now's the time to smile and feel proud! :)

Kenna said...

Wow! I'm not surprised you went big. I would have started with a potholder. You've always been one to reach for the stars. Thanks for the inspiration!

Elaine said...

Wow, they look wonderful! I love the little dogs and your choice of fabric colors.